|Olivet Nazarene Univ (3-1)||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0||2||7||1|
|Mt. Vernon Nazarene (3-0)||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||1||3||5||0|
|Mount Vernon, Ohio Cougar Field|
|Olivet Nazarene Univ||Pitching||Mt. Vernon Nazarene|
|Olivet Nazarene Univ||Indv. Stats||Mt. Vernon Nazarene|
|#8 Hill, Ben||Doubles||None|
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio. — The second scheduled weekend of baseball for the Tigers at Watson Field wasn't meant to be. Due to inclement weather in the forecast, the Olivet Nazarene University baseball team headed east to play Mount Vernon Nazarene University (Ohio) for a three-game series. Meanwhile, it would be a homecoming for head coach Todd Reid, who would get the opportunity to coach against his Alma mater. In Friday's matchup of two unbeaten teams, the Cougars bested the Tigers 3-2 in extra innings, using a walk-off single in the bottom of the eighth to win the game.
Senior Nick Campe started his second game of the season for the Tigers (3-1) on Friday. He went 5 1/3 innings allowing only one run off one hit, while striking out five and walking five. Alexander DeYoung pitched 1 1/3 innings and gave up one unearned run off two hits. Graham Burke (1-1) recorded the loss, allowing the two final runs to cross the plate, including a costly balk in the eighth inning.
The Cougars (3-0) started Trenton Wood, who went seven innings. He allowed two runs of seven hits and struck out one. Curtis Williamson (1-0) pitched the eighth inning and recorded the win.
Mount Vernon Nazarene started early in the bottom of the first, placing two runners on immediately on walks. They both stole the next base and a groundout later the Cougars led 1-0. MVNU threatened again in the second when they loaded the bases with two outs, but a fly out ended the inning. Both teams went down in the order in the third and in the fourth through six innings, neither team could manage more than one baserunner. Fast forward to the top of the seventh for the Tigers, Jordan Wanner led off with a walk but was caught stealing. Yet, Tanner McLain followed with a single and Ben Hill came up and doubled allowing McLain to score to tie the game. Two batters later Sam Kippen's single scored pinch runner Alex Campe giving the Tigers the lead 2-1. However, the Cougars responded in the bottom half of the inning. Devin Pearl led off with a single and reached third on an error by DeYoung. He scored on the next at-bat when Drew Ritchey singled. The game remained tied and went to extra innings. The Tigers went down in order in the top half, but Aaron Saal came up for MVNU and singled to lead off the inning. He reached second on a sacrifice bunt and eventually third on a balk by Burke. Ashton Myers singled on the next at-bat allowing Saal to be the deciding run.
The Tigers and Cougars will play a doubleheader on Saturday, starting at 12 p.m. (EST).
- Oct. 7 - Baseball vs Mount Vernon Nazarene University - L 14-1 - recap
- Oct. 7 - Baseball vs Mount Vernon Nazarene University - L 12-3 - recap
- Oct. 6 - Baseball vs Mount Vernon Nazarene University - L 3-2 (8 Innings) - recap
- Sep. 23 - Baseball vs Lincoln Christian University - W 12-4 - recap
- Sep. 23 - Baseball vs Lincoln Christian University - W 9-1 - recap
- Sep. 22 - Baseball vs Lincoln Christian University - W 21-3 (7 Innings) - recap
- May. 8 - Baseball vs Indiana University-South Bend - L 7-4 - recap
- May. 6 - Baseball vs Robert Morris University - Illinois - W 4-2 - recap
- May. 5 - Baseball vs University of Saint Francis - L 3-2 (10 Innings) - recap
- May. 2 - Baseball vs Trinity Christian College - W 8-6 - recap