KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) today announced the fifth annual Team Academic Excellence Awards, created by the NABC Committee on Academics. These awards recognize outstanding academic achievement by a team with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better for the 2016-17 season. @NABC1927 invites you to share the success of these student-athletes using #NABCTeamExcellence.
In order to earn a NABC Team Academic Excellence Award, institutions in the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA must count the grade point averages of all men's student-athletes who competed during the 2016-17 season.
The Olivet Nazarene University Men's Basketball program earned it's first-ever NABC Team Academic Excellence Award following the 2016-17 season. The Tigers finished the year with a 3.42 cumulative GPA, the highest in recent history. They were among 218 programs from across the nation and one of four to represent the CCAC to be honored.
About the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC)
Located in Kansas City, Missouri, the NABC was founded in 1927 by Phog Allen, the legendary basketball coach at the University of Kansas. Allen, a student of James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, organized coaches into this collective group to serve as Guardians of the Game. The NABC currently has nearly 5,000 members consisting primarily of university and college men's basketball coaches. All members of the NABC are expected to uphold the core values of being a Guardian of the Game by bringing attention to the positive aspects of the sport of basketball and the role coaches play in the academic and athletic lives of today's student-athletes. The four core values of being a Guardian of the Game are advocacy, leadership, service and education. For additional information about the NABC, its programs and membership, go to www.nabc.org.
- Feb. 24 - Men's Basketball vs 7Robert Morris University - Illinois - L 99-91 - recap
- Feb. 21 - Men's Basketball vs Saint Xavier University - W 91-77 - recap
- Feb. 18 - Men's Basketball vs Holy Cross College - W 88-79 - recap
- Feb. 15 - Men's Basketball vs University of Saint Francis - W 94-85 - recap
- Feb. 11 - Men's Basketball vs Indiana University-South Bend - W 99-71 - recap
- Feb. 8 - Men's Basketball vs Governors State University - W 93-79 - recap
- Feb. 4 - Men's Basketball vs Calumet College of St. Joseph - L 74-51 - recap
- Feb. 1 - Men's Basketball vs Purdue University Northwest - W 107-72 - recap
- Jan. 28 - Men's Basketball vs Cardinal Stritch University - W 99-81 - recap
- Jan. 25 - Men's Basketball vs Trinity Christian College - W 94-83 - recap