MOBILE, Ala. – After earning an at-large bid to the NAIA National Championships, the No. 19 Olivet Nazreen University women's tennis team did all they could to advance in the opening round against No. 15 University of the Cumberland's (Ky.), but came up just short. The Tigers fell 5-3 to the Patriots at the national tournament hosted by the University of Mobile on Tuesday, May 16.
The Tigers picked up two critical wins in doubles to advance to singles action with a 2-1 lead. Priscila Nunez and Dana Huck downed Isabella Dale and Jaclyn Jewell 8-3 in the top slot, while Victoria Monakhova and Faith Huckabee added an 8-6 win over Maria Ochoa and Marian Bagajo at No. 2. Anna Kuechenberg and Morgan Winnie almost added a third win in doubles, dropping a marathon match 9-7 to Denee Lyttle and Luka Lyttle.
Monakhova and Huckabee went on to add singles victories in the No. 2 and 3 spots. Monakhova downed Ochoa 7-5, 6-2, while Huckabee came from behind to beat Jewell 2-6, 6-1, 6-4.
The loss concludes the Tigers season, finishing 10-12 overall.
- Sep. 1 - Women's Tennis vs Ottawa University - W 8-1 - recap
- May. 16 - Women's Tennis vs 15University of the Cumberlands - L 5-4 - recap - stats
- Apr. 29 - Women's Tennis vs Cardinal Stritch University - L 5-2 - stats
- Apr. 27 - Women's Tennis vs University of Saint Francis - W 5-0 - recap - stats
- Apr. 22 - Women's Tennis vs Saint Ambrose University - W 8-1 - recap - stats
- Apr. 20 - Women's Tennis vs Roosevelt University - W 9-0
- Apr. 18 - Women's Tennis vs University of Saint Francis - W 9-0 - recap - stats
- Apr. 13 - Women's Tennis vs Lindenwood University-Belleville - Canceled
- Apr. 11 - Women's Tennis vs Judson University - W 6-0 - stats
- Apr. 8 - Women's Tennis vs Calumet College of St. Joseph - W 9-0