BOUBONNAIS, Ill. – Winter reared its ugly head again, forcing the Olivet Nazarene University men's tennis team to scramble to find indoor facilities for their six-team ONU Spring Invite on March 16-18. The Tigers sandwiched two wins between two tough losses, finishing the weekend 2-2.
Olivet Nazarene 0 Northwestern Ohio 5
Northwestern Ohio, the No. 5 ranked team in the NAIA, came out the gates quickly. The Racers picked up three quick doubles wins, with the only close match at No. 2 where Grant Esposito (SO/Fountain City, Ind.) and Tyler Cannon (SO/Denison, Texas) dropped a marathon match to Jean-Marc Krone and Ronnie Myburgh 8-6.
In singles, Oscar Mancineiras Cornella (SR/Lleida, Spain) kept things close in the first set with Theo Baudin, but lost steam in the second, falling 7-5, 6-1.
Olivet Nazarene 5 Bethany (Kan.) 1
The Tigers jumped on the Swedes early, picking up all three wins at doubles. In single action, Mancineiras Cornella easily downed Matheus at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-1. Tyler Cannon and Juan Lopez Morales added wins at Nos. 5 and 6 singles, respectively.
Olivet Nazarene 5 Indiana Wesleyan 2
Olivet outlasted the Wildcats at the top two spots in doubles, winning both 8-6 before dropping the No. 3 sport 8-2. In singles action, Mancineiras Cornella added another win at No. 1, downing Joel Montgomery 6-2, 6-2. Alfonso Martinez (SO/Madrid, Spain) added a 6-1, 6-1 win over Tyler Abbott at No. 2 singles,w hile Sradja Nikalic finished the match with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles over Caleb Cottrell.
Olivet Nazarene 1 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 5
The Tigers were down just 2-1 to No. 4 ranked Lindsey Wilson College thanks to a win at No. 2 doubles by Esposito and Morales. The duo downed Javier Raya and Filip Persson 8-3. But Olivet couldn't carry the momentum into singles, as the Blue Raiders completed the sweep.
The Tigers (4-4) return to action on Saturday, March 25 when they host Golden Eagles of Cornerstone University (Mich.) and the Lakers of Roosevelt University (Ill.). The match with Cornerstone is scheduled to start at 10:30 a.m. with the Roosevelt match beginning at 2 p.m.
- Apr. 29 - Men's Tennis vs Cardinal Stritch University - L 5-0 - stats
- Apr. 28 - Men's Tennis vs RVJudson University - W 5-3
- Apr. 22 - Men's Tennis vs Saint Ambrose University - W 6-0 - recap - stats
- Apr. 20 - Men's Tennis vs Roosevelt University - W 9-0
- Apr. 18 - Men's Tennis vs University of Saint Francis - W 7-2 - recap - stats
- Apr. 13 - Men's Tennis vs Lindenwood University-Belleville - Canceled
- Apr. 12 - Men's Tennis vs RVJudson University - W 7-2 - stats
- Apr. 8 - Men's Tennis vs Calumet College of St. Joseph - W 7-2 - recap - stats
- Apr. 8 - Men's Tennis vs 10Cardinal Stritch University - L 6-3 - recap - stats
- Mar. 29 - Men's Tennis vs Purdue University Northwest - W 8-0 - recap - stats